West View Media seeks a part time Executive Director. This unique opportunity will allow the right individual to create a position for themselves, and additional professional staff, with an established and well respected organization with extraordinary potential for growth and impact.
West View Media is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) community news organization that offers an authentic look into Salt Lake City’s west side through stories written primarily by community members. Currently published quarterly, The West View is mailed free of charge to over 22,000 homes and businesses throughout the Fairpark, Glendale, Rose Park, Westpointe, Jordan Meadows and Poplar Grove neighborhoods. West View Media also produces events, discussions and partnerships related to its community mission.
The West View has enthusiastic community support and a long history and is looking to expand their presence through a professional, paid staff. Currently, one volunteer acts as Managing Editor, overseeing the production of The West View newspaper, with a staff of writers, photographers, and other volunteers.
The primary function of the West View Media Executive Director is to oversee the management of the organization. They will:
- Manage all aspects of West View Media’s external affairs including fundraising, resource development, communications and marketing, and community partnerships.
- Manage all aspects of West View Media internal affairs: operational management of finances to meet all budgeted goals for contributed (and earned) income.
- The ED will act as primary liaison to the board, providing reports as necessary to ensure the health and vitality of the organization.
- The ED will work in partnership with the Managing Editor, board, staff, and volunteers to maintain and promote the excellence of West View Media.
The Executive Director position has been funded for six months with a $1000/per month stipend. Depending on organizational and fundraising development, this Executive Director position could transition to a regular paid position in the future.
Full Job Description
Management and Operations
- Manage and supervise staff by building a collaborative administrative team to execute West View Media's mission while providing strong, supportive and consistent leadership.
- Oversee fiduciary management of organization by overseeing development of the annual budget and any special project or capital budgets, reviewing all financial and managerial reports, statements and other documents (contracts, agreements, leases, etc.)
- Ensure the financial stability of West View Media by using strong financial and accounting controls, identifying and driving appropriate revenue strategies and responsibly managing West View Media budget.
- Manage staff and oversee event management.
- Oversee all fundraising activities including assistance in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Work with the fundraising committee to identify, apply and manage grant applications and other fundraising opportunities
- Oversee ad sales and ad sales staff or volunteers, including sales, invoicing and other management.
- Work with committees, volunteers, board members and other parties to identify sources of revenue for the organization.
- Build, maintain and nurture relationships with donors and vendors.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships within the business, civic, and nonprofit communities that promote the work of the West View Media and the community.
- Advocate for West View Media, the journalism community, and the economic impact of the organization with local, state and federal offices as necessary.
- Manage email marketing and assist with social media content.
- Act as the liaison to the board of directors, executive and fundraising committees of West View Media and provide reports, statements and other documents as needed to help the board exercise their legal duties to govern West View Media .
- Oversee engagement of trustees in fundraising, marketing, public relations, community relations and advocacy efforts.
- Manage business activities including but not limited to: selection, hiring, development, evaluation and coaching of administrative staff.
- Collaborate with staff and volunteers to create and nurture the culture of West View Media.
- Act as primary spokesperson for West View Media.
- Other functions as directed by the board.
- Has leadership and management experience in a nonprofit organization.
- Values community journalism, civic engagement and advocacy for diverse communities.
- Exhibits strong writing skills and some knowledge of community journalism.
- Has experience in fundraising, management, operations and board relations.
- Has demonstrated ability to foster and nurture relationships with donors, business leaders, nonprofit professionals, community and civic leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Has demonstrated knowledge of operations, financial reporting, budgets, and nonprofit finance.
- Has understanding of board governance and organizational management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.